Steve Del Gardo
Crowned Warriors What's your symbol?
Steve Del Gardo
- age: 48
- year of diagnosis: October of 2012
- survivor years: 4
- current city: Taylor Mill, KY
- type of breast cancer: Stage 1 Male Breast Cancer
- profession: Director/Founder of Protect The Pecs
- After finding a lump in his “pec area,” Steve found himself filling out a pink form that asked for information about his gynecologist and his period. Although he had a good sense of humor, he realized that his experience could help other men who were diagnosed. “It was after my second treatment … I heard a voice in my head telling me that I needed to start a male breast cancer foundation. It was the day Protect the Pecs was born.”
- Who are your heroes in real life?
- Breast cancer survivors and co-survivors.
- What is your biggest fear?
- I hate spiders. Being overrun by spiders.
- What do you most value in your friends?
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue.
- Worthiness. What makes someone more worthy than the next? Who decides that?
- Which talent would you most like to have?
- Be an awesome golfer.
- What is your current state of mind?
- At ease.
- How has having breast cancer changed your outlook on life?
- It has made me realize that I shouldn't sweat the small stuff. And knowing that I can accomplish anything that comes to me.
- What was your darkest hour?
- Getting the news that I had Stage 1 breast cancer.
- What was your brightest hour?
- Seeing how many people (friends and family) came together to support me in my darkest hour.
- How do you most like spending your time?
- I love to cook. Being in the kitchen and making food for friends.
- What is your greatest joy?
- Finally realizing what my destiny is. Creating a new foundation to help men and their families with male breast cancer by providing awareness, education and medical research.
- What is your most marked characteristic?
- Humor. Making people laugh to forget about life's little troubles.