Heart What's your symbol?
- age: 25
- Year Breast Cancer Touched Your Life: 2005 - when mom was diagnosed with breast cancer
- Relationship To The Person Who Had Breast Cancer: Daughter
- current city: Portland, Oregon
- type of breast cancer: My mom had resettable Stage II breast cancer
- profession: Graduate student in clinical psychology
- children: One big orange cat.
- While Ariel was a freshman in high school, her mom (Model of Courage Marisol) was diagnosed with breast cancer. “I neither remember the exact moment nor the words that told me of my mother’s illness, but I do remember being in a numb fog.” Ariel helped by taking care of her little sister, often feeding, bathing and babysitting her. “Strangely, I never felt like crying, and hadn’t seriously considered the idea that her cancer could win. My brain could not generate an image of a life without her.”
- What is your idea of happiness?
- Being with people you love and doing what you love.
- When and where were you happiest?
- When I rode horses in Ohio, smelling the coming thunderstorms and watching the fireflies come out at night.
- What is your biggest fear?
- Not contributing something of value to the world.
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
- Perfectionism. I wholeheartedly believe in pursuing excellence, but in my personal experience seeking perfection has caused great mental suffering and a tendency to overlook my great (but not perfect) achievements.
- What or who is the greatest love of your life?
- My sister. We’ve been close ever since she was born, and no one quite understands us like we do each other.
- How has knowing people who have had breast cancer affected your life?
- It reminded me to live in and appreciate the moment.
- What is your most treasured possession?
- My family.
- What was your darkest hour?
- When I let my worry eclipse the good in my life.
- What was your brightest hour?
- When my fears were proven wrong.
- What is your most marked characteristic?