- age: 56
- year of diagnosis: 2013
- survivor years: 3
- Year Breast Cancer Touched Your Life: 2013
- current city: Seattle, WA
- type of breast cancer: Estrogen and Ductal Carcinoma
- profession: President/Owner of Marketing Firm
- What is your idea of happiness?
- Knowing, without a doubt, that those in my life who matter the most love me for who I am.
- When and where were you happiest?
- The day I married my husband Dana. I survived a 17-year domestic violence marriage, so when I married my sweet husband Dana, I knew I would always be cherished, loved and safe.
- What is your biggest fear?
- Not living up to my utmost potential. I am constantly striving to learn, grow and become a better person. Sometimes I fear that I might not be able to be the best person I can possibly be. However, it’s not a big fear since I am accepting of my flaws and realize that I am only human. In other words, I’m “flawsome.”
- Who are your heroes in real life?
- My brother Gregg is my hero. He was afflicted with polio at age 5 and never, ever, throughout his entire life (he’s 62 now) did he ever complain about having polio. He never felt sorry for himself and has always been grateful for everything in his life. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I made the decision to be just like him — positive and grateful — and that is what has gotten me through my journey.
- What do you most value in your friends?
- A no-nonsense approach to our relationship. I am not a fan of drama. My friends know that I am a “what you see is what you get” type of person, and I value that they respect that about me.
- Which talent would you most like to have?
- The ability to make everyone I meet feel happiness and love.
- What is your current state of mind?
- I am happy. I am grateful to be alive and feel blessed to have family, friends and furbabies that love me.
- What is your most treasured possession?
- My wedding ring. My parents both passed away in 2001 (12 days apart). My wedding ring was custom-made with diamonds from both of their wedding bands. When I’m wearing my wedding ring, I am reminded of their unconditional love for me.
- How do you most like spending your time?
- Reading or basking in the sun. Reading because it allows me to escape into different environments and learn new things. Basking in the sun because it allows me to quietly ponder everything that is on my mind and formulate plans to make my life, and the lives of those around me, better.
- What do you most dislike?
- Drama. Life is too short to waste time on things that don’t truly matter.
- In your own words, what would you say to inspire or encourage someone facing breast cancer right now?
- Feel everything. Feel the good. Feel the bad. It is so important to feel and react to every emotion. If you ignore emotions, they will only surface at some other time. Because I allowed myself to feel the bad emotions during breast cancer, I am now able to better appreciate and enjoy all of the good things in my life.
Kelly Doesn't Have any Favorite Looks Yet!