- age: 40
- year of diagnosis: 2011
- survivor years: 5
- Year Breast Cancer Touched Your Life: 2011
- current city: Seattle, WA
- type of breast cancer: Invasive Ductal carcinoma
- profession: Grad School - Masters of Divinity
- What is your idea of happiness?
- Feeling content and at peace.
- When and where were you happiest?
- In nature, when I have nothing on my schedule and can just sit, journal and read a good book.
- What is your biggest fear?
- Dying without having fully lived and forever being in debt.
- Who are your heroes in real life?
- My sister Sandra, who quit a pack a day habit of smoking and now runs marathons. She is also a full-time student and mom to two amazing little boys.
- What do you most value in your friends?
- Time spent with them. Friends who think of me and reach out to me at random times.
- Which talent would you most like to have? Right now?
- The ability to speed read and the ability to play a musical instrument very well.
- What is your current state of mind?
- Content, rested and ready to take on what the rest of the week brings.
- What is your most treasured possession?
- My cat, a photo frame my sister gave me that reads “She turned her can’ts into cans and her dreams into plans,” a bracelet with beads from my breast cancer support group I am a part of and the willow angels my mom bought me after each of my surgeries.
- How do you most like spending your time?
- Doing something that is good for my soul, like reading, journaling or coloring, hanging out with friends, being in nature or bike riding.
- What do you most dislike?
- Being tethered to technology.
- In your own words, what would you say to inspire or encourage someone facing breast cancer right now?
- Hang in there. Nothing will be the same, but you will come out a stronger version of your current self. Hold on to the friends who are brought into your life because of cancer – these will be your lifelines and they will understand you like no other. Trust your instincts – you know what’s best for you and you are making the best possible decisions you can for yourself.
Sonya Doesn't Have any Favorite Looks Yet!